Did you know that September 19th is an international “Talk like a Pirate” day? Well now you know and get to celebrate pirates with us all week long! Pirates have been around for an exceptionally long time and have been the number one go-to Halloween outfit. If you wonder what makes pirates so interesting to stick around for kids to love for generations, here is a list of 5 interesting fun facts about pirates.
1. Blackbeard pirates were known to be the roughest, toughest, and ruthless pirates. They were known to be the leader of the ship and easily noticed with their long, thick, black beards.
2. Women were not allowed on pirate ships. A few women did not find this fair and dressed like men. They disguised themselves on the ship to experience the adventure, freedom, and wealth that men pirates did. However, if they dressed like men, they had to fight like men to; only a few could manage this such as Mary Read, Anne Bonny, Grace O’Malley, and Ching Shih.
3. Parrots were not actual pets for pirates. They are expensive birds now, and were worth a whole lot even way back when. It is likely that pirates who owned parrots had most likely stolen them during one of their invasions. Pirates would trade these parrots for real treasure, or simply wear them on their shoulder to signify their luxurious life. If you had a parrot, you had treasure!
4. Treasure is real and was taken more than seriously by pirates during their hunts and adventures. China and Southeast Asia were known as pirate paradise and a hot spot for pirates to set sail through.
5. Each ship had its own set of rules on how the ship was ran and how treasures were split. Everyone on the ship had a specific duty to accomplish each day. If you didn’t agree with someone or something, surprising as it is, fellow pirates could not fight or argue on the ship but could do so once the ship was stopped on land.